Sunday, September 14, 2003

I seriously almost died last night. The rain came around 4:11, that's the last time I looked at my watch. I was sitting on Matt Miller's front porch talking to Ben Miller, Nathan and Matt were driving Ruben home. I had watched the storm roll in all night, then it finally hit. The rain was really, really heavy. I saw it falling in sheets in the street light. "I really need to get home before this gets any worse." I told Ben. I started driving down Harris and I could barely see 5 feet in front of me. When I got to Rio Concho Drive, I saw the drainage ditches overflowing, but that was my only way home. I had to take that road, so I was going like 20 when I hit the river. Right in front of Rio Concho Manor, my car took a dip and water went completely over my headlights and started seeping into the floor board of my car through the doors. The electricity was out so the street lights weren't on, so when my lights went under it was completely dark. All I heard was the moaning of my Honda and the rushing of water and rain. I got extremely scared, I immediately began to pray. I now understand why most drownings occur this way. I couldn't see that the road had been replaced by a river. I floored it and I swear the angels were there pushing my car keeping it running. Any other car would have stalled when the water had completely gone up and over the hood. I got through that and prayed the rest of the way home. I ran every stop light and stop sign, I probably had a million traffic violations but no one was out and I know no cop was going to pull me over in this, I just had to get home. I fianlly walked in the door at around 5, my mom was waiting for me. "I almost died!" I exlaimed to my mother.

No comments: