Thursday, January 17, 2008

the student becomes the teacher

Day One: Mrs. Robinson's class

"Now here's to you Mrs. Robinson..." I love that song. Haha. I am so exhausted right now! Being with kids all day is pretty draining! Plus, four hours of Residence Hall work after that makes it that much more tough and about a 14 hour day today. I'm a zombie right now.

Day one was pretty excellent. I got off to school way too early and was there at 7:00, still completely dark. The cool thing is I get to park in all the white zones with no fear of a ticket and I get full access to that teacher's lounge in Newton, like it's some special society or something. The strangest thing is being at Central with all those memories and looking at it now with a whole new perspective. I had a sub today, so my co-teacher was not even there. I got to teach the class by myself on the first day! Exhilerating.

I had to take a survey yesterday about how I deal with stress, whether it turns into self-mutilation, becoming anti-social, sweaty palms, etc. What happens to me is at first I stop eating completely for about 3 weeks, then I shift and can't stop eating. I know this now only because the high stress that I experienced last year ended with the same result on my physical appearance in both major incidents. I see how Lauren lost all that weight... you just become too busy to eat. I came back to my apartment tonight and found half a cup of coffee and a peanut butter and banana waffle with ONE bite taken out of it lying pitifully on a napkin in my kitchen. I really was convinced that I had eaten breakfast. Seriously, I wasn't hungry all morning because I believed I had eaten that thing. I had to laugh because I had just spoken with Josh about the stress thing. Ha!

Let's see how day two goes.

1 comment:

A.C. said...

how weird is it that after only a few short years you can go back to central and enter all the places there were off limits to you as a 17yr old. you have more power than the prom queen ;) !!